3CX Phone System has the ability to download all of your current user settings from your Active Directory Server via the LDAP protocol. All the user’s data such as first and last names, mobile numbers, and email addresses will be queried from the Active Directory and extensions will be created with a click of a button. This will save the administrator a great amount of time and resources.
1.1. What does it do?
Companies that use Microsoft Active Directory (AD) may want to ensure that when a user is deleted from AD, then the user is deleted from the 3CX too. The ‘3CX Active Directory Sync’ application automates this process by performing a series of actions like logging into AD with valid credentials, followed by collecting the list of users in AD that have an extension specified, and then by comparing them with those in 3CX. During the process, if it is found that a specific extension exists in 3CX but not in AD, then the ‘3CX Active Directory Sync’ deletes the extension from the 3CX. You can configure ‘Schedule Timer’ in various modes (Frequency/ Specific Time of the Day/ On Demand) to initiate ‘3CX Active Directory Sync’ to perform these actions.
Before installing ‘3CX Active Directory Sync’, you need to ensure that your computer meets the minimum requirements mentioned below:
1. 3CX Version 16
2. Windows 10 or above / Windows Server 2012 or above
3. Microsoft SQL Server 2014 or above (Including the free SQL Express edition)
4. Internet Information Server (IIS) 7.0 or above
5. .Net 4.7.2 or above
You can order ‘3CX Active Directory Sync’ on-line at http://www.voiptools.com. Your order confirmation email will include your license key and a link to download the software.
There are a number of prerequisites that must be installed prior to installing ‘3CX Active Directory Sync’. These prerequisites include Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS) and Microsoft SQL Server
Install 3CX Active Directory Sync
This User Guide contains step-by-step instructions to successfully install ‘3CX Active Directory Sync’. Begin by extracting the installer from the downloaded zip file (Step 1 above), then run the setup program named 3CXActiveDirectorySyncInstaller.exe
Register your License Key
You must register your license key to activate ‘3CX Active Directory Sync’. Your license key is included in your order confirmation email, and can also be found in your order history on our website.
The following section guides you through a detailed walk-through of the installation process.
Step 1: Download 3CX Active Directory Sync
You can check for the software download link included in your order confirmation email. As an alternative, you can also find the link from your order history on our website.
Step 2: Extract the installer from the downloaded .zip file
The file you downloaded in the above step is a compressed .zip file.
1. Position the mouse on the zip file and right-click.
2. From the popup menu, select Extract All to extract the software
Step 3: Start the installation process
1. From the extracted folder, find the file 3CXActiveDirectorySyncInstaller.exe
2. Double-click the file to start the VoIPTools Setup Wizard.
3. Click Next to continue.
Step 4: Download the VoIPTools 3CX Relay (if required)
3CX permits one 3rd party application to communicate with the 3CX server at a time. To overcome this limitation, VoIPTools created the 3CX Relay Service. The Relay is a lightweight application that is installed directly on the 3CX server. The Relay exposes the 3CX Call Control API (and other VoIPTools services) to all our applications, and manages requests and events between VoIPTools products and 3CX. The Relay also makes it possible to install our VoIPTools products on a remote server (including over the internet).
1. If you have not previously installed the Relay on your 3CX Server, you can download the Relay installer by clicking on the Download Relay button. The Relay must be installed directly on the 3CX server.
2. If you are installing ‘3CX Active Directory Sync’ directly on the 3CX server, you can install the Relay simply by clicking the Install/ Upgrade Relay button and following the Relay install instructions.
Step 5: Test Relay Settings
1. In the 3CX Server Platform drop down, select Windows for old Relay or Linux for new Relay based on the 3CX version of your application.
If you choose ‘3CX Server Platform’ as ‘Windows’ then ‘3CX Active Directory’ will communicate with old Relay Service, and if you choose ‘Linux’ then it will communicate with new Relay Service.
2. In the Relay Services Host field, enter “localhost” if installing ‘3CX Active Directory’ on the 3CX server. If 3CX resides on a different server, enter the IP address or FQDN of the 3CX server.
3. In the Relay Services Port field, enter the value as 8700 for Windows or 8800 for Linux.
The ‘3CX Active Directory’ will take default port as 8700 for Windows and 8800 for Linux. If the default port number doesn’t appear automatically, you can manually enter the respective default port number.
4. Click Test Relay Settings to confirm ‘3CX Active Directory’ can communicate with the Relay services running on the 3CX server.
5. If the ‘3CX Active Directory’ is successfully able to communicate with the Relay services that run on the 3CX server, a Success message box appears. Click OK.
6. Click Next to continue the installation.
Step 6: Configure the database
If this is your first install then, select a valid SQL server and if you are reinstalling then select the existing database.
1. When prompted for the database connection information, click Configure.
2. In the Connection Properties dialog box, enter the SQL server name. If using the free SQL Express edition, the default SQL Instance name is
3. Enter the login credentials.
a. If using Windows integrated security, select Use Windows Authentication. The VoIPTools installer will create a local windows user name as “VoIPToys” and will give sufficient rights to this user to create / update the SQL database.
b. If SQL Server authentication is desired, select Use SQL Server Authentication. Be sure to select a SQL Login that has sufficient permissions to alter the database and create SQL objects. Enter the User name and Password, and select appropriate database value from the Select or enter a database name drop down.
4. Click Test Connection button to confirm you can connect to SQL
5. Click OK to save the SQL Connection information
6. Click Next to create the required SQL database objects.
Step 7: Installation Complete
1. The server installation status screen will display the installation progress.
The 3CX Active Directory Sync Settings configuration screen enables you to register software and, update your application to latest version
5.1. Register Software
Registration is required to authorize your license key. Registering also makes it possible for VoIPTools to provide a replacement key if your license key is ever lost. Also, it enables VoIPTools to notify you of any product updates, and reminders if your key is reaching the renewal date.
1. In the 3CX Active Directory Sync Settings configuration screen, in the License tab, and in the License Key field, enter the valid license key.
2. Enter appropriate details in all the other fields of the page.
3. Click Register
5.1. Check for Updates
You can update your application to latest version by clicking on Check for Updates button at the footer of the configuration screen.
To access the ‘3CX Active Directory Sync’ web portal, click the Web Portal button on the configuration program, or click on the desktop icon that was created during the installation process (‘3CX Active Directory Sync’ Web).
When connecting to the web portal, you will be asked to provide login credentials.
1. In the Extension field, enter your 3CX extension number.
2. In the PIN field, enter your 3CX voicemail PIN.
3. Click Login button to login to your account.
The Removal screen enables you to configure settings to trigger the ‘Schedule Timer’ in desired mode so that the ‘3CX Active Directory Sync’ will perform the following series of actions:
1. Log into Active Directory with valid credentials to access the information in AD.
2. Look in AD for the field that denotes user’s extension number. (IP Phone, Fax, Mobile etc. for instance)
3. Build the list of users associated to an Organizational Unit along with their respective extension in AD.
4. Build the list of users and their respective extensions in 3CX.
5. Compare the list built in AD with that built in 3CX.
6. Delete the extensions in 3CX that are found in 3CX but not in AD.
7. Archive voicemails and recordings of the deleted extension to the configured extension (this is optional).
1. In the Removal screen, under Active Directory section and in the Domain field, enter valid domain with which you want to log into AD.
2. In the User Name and Password fields, enter valid credentials for the respective domain.
3. Click Test button to confirm that the user can log into AD with the provided credentials. Once the login is successful, success message will be displayed.
4. From the AD Phone Field drop down list, select the desired field to denote the user’s extension number.
5. From the Archive Extension drop down list, select the desired extension to which you want to archive all the voicemails and recordings of the extension that you want to delete. (This is optional).
6. If you want to add a new Organizational Unit, beside Organizational Unit, click Add and enter the details for Organization Unit (OU) and Domain Control (DC) in the format: OU=MyDomain Users, DC=MyDomain, DC=com, with DC=com as standard value. For instance, to add an Organizational Unit with name INDIAOffice, you can type as: OU=INDIAOffice,DC=VOIPTEST,DC=com
7. Click Save to save the AD information that you have just configured.
6.1.2. Configure Extension Update Schedule
1. In the Extension Update Schedule section, select Frequency option if you want to trigger the Schedule Timer to run for every specified Minutes of time.
2. Select Time option if you want to trigger the Schedule Timer to run at the specified Time of the Day.
3. Select On Demand option if you want to trigger the Schedule Timer to run instantly.
4. Click Save to save the Schedule Update Extension settings.
5. Once the settings are successfully saved, Success message box appears. Click OK.
6.1.3. Start/ Stop Windows Service
1. Click Start to start the windows service.
2. Click Stop to stop the windows service.
The Log screen enables you to view the summary of all the events that take place during the time when the Scheduler runs and instigates the ‘3CX Active Directory Sync’ to perform the actions as per the configured Application Settings. From here, you can also export the information to the desired format. If you do not want to see the logs anymore, you can clear them.
The Site Settings enable you to customize branding settings for the application that include the following:
1. Customize the gradient color of ‘Application Header’
2. Customize grid color in screens that display grid data
3. Customize logo on the ‘Application Header’
4. Customize ‘Header Title Prefix’ on the ‘Application Header’
Custom Brand Settings
1. In the Site screen and in the Custom Branding Settings form, perform the following Brand Setting Customizations:
a. Customize Application Title Header – Gradient Color
i. Beside Header Gradient Color and from the Top Color palette, select the desired color that you want to display as the top color for the ‘Application Title Header’.
ii. From the Bottom Color palette, select the desired color that you want to display at the bottom of the ‘Application Title Header’ in gradient to the selected Top Color.
b. Customize Grid Color
i. From the Grid Color palette, select the color that you want to display for the grid in screens that display grid data.
ii. The final display after applying ‘Grid Color’ branding settings:
c. Customize Logo
i. If you are uploading the logo for the first time then, beside Upload New Logo field, click Browse and select the logo that you want to apply. You will now observe that the logo is added to the Custom Logo drop down list.
ii. From the Custom Logo drop down list, select the logo that you have just uploaded.
d. Customize ‘Header Title Prefix’ Text
2. Once you perform desired customizations, click Apply.
Visit our website to access our on-line manuals and receive quick answers to most of your questions. Otherwise, you can contact us by phone, email, live chat and on the VoIPTools forums.
Our team is ready to assist you with answers to your technical questions, during normal business hours, which is Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM (Central Standard Time), and 8:00 AM to 12:00 AM (Indian Standard Time).
• Windows Event Log (Applications and Services ? VoIPTools)
The Windows Event Log lists various errors, information messages and warnings related to all our VoIPTools applications and services. The data here can be used for troubleshooting various application errors.
Our forum is intended for VoIPTools customers to collaborate on real-life challenges, solutions and best practices. You can participate on our forum at: https://www.voiptools.com/community/
• Submit a Bug
If you suspect a bug in any of our VoIPTools products, you can bring it to our notice by reporting your issue at: https://www.voiptools.com/report-a-bug/
• Live Chat
Our chat support team is ready to acknowledge your queries in real-time. You can start a live chat with us by simply clicking on the Live Chat button at the lower right corner of our web page.
You can email us at: email@example.com. Be sure to describe your issue in detail. We’ll get back to you within one business day of receiving your request.
You can call us at +1 801-642-4655 to reach a representative. VoIPTools will accept calls at this number from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM (Central Standard Time).
• Support Services
If you purchased our products through a VoIPTools Partner, your Partner will provide first level support. Partners have access to 100% free technical support, provided they participate actively in the troubleshooting process.
VoIPTools customers have access to our on-line manuals and we will respond to emails (next business day) and live chat, but we will not login to your servers remotely.
If you purchase “Installation Support’ our support team can login to your servers and install and configure all our tools for you. This includes installing SQL Server Express and Internet Information Server if required. Our team will work with you to configure our applications to best meet your needs.
Whether through one of our commercial products, or a custom solution built to meet your specific needs, we can help you get the most out of your 3CX investment. Call us today!Contact Us