3CX Auto Voicemail allows your staff to record personalized voicemail messages, and automatically play these messages when connected to a customer’s voicemail box.
Primarily envisioned for call center agents who are making outbound calls, when a call center agent is transferred to a customer’s voicemail box, the agent can select from a list of prerecorded messages and have 3CX leave the voicemail for them.
Having 3CX leave the voicemail has the following benefits:
Before installing Auto Voicemail, you need to ensure that your computer meets the minimum requirements mentioned below:
1. 3CX Version 16
2. Windows 10 and above / Windows Server 2012 and above
3. Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express and above
4. Internet Information Server (IIS) 7.0 and above
5. .Net 4.6 or above
You can order 3CX Auto Voicemail on-line at http://www.voiptools.com. Your order confirmation email will include your license key and a link to download the software.
There are a number of prerequisites that must be installed prior to installing 3CX Auto Voicemail. These prerequisites include Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS) and Microsoft SQL Server
Install 3CX Auto Voicemail
This User Guide contains step-by-step instructions to successfully install 3CX Auto Voicemail. Begin by extracting the installer from the downloaded zip file (Step 1 above), then run the setup program named 3CXAutoVoicemailInstaller.exe
Register your License Key
You must register your license key to activate 3CX Auto Voicemail. Your license key is included in your order confirmation email, and can also be found in your order history on our website.
The following section guides you through a detailed walk-through of the installation process.
Step 1: Download 3CX Auto Voicemail
You can check for the software download link included in your order confirmation email. As an alternative, you can also find the link from your order history on our website.
Step 2: Extract the installer from the downloaded .zip file
The file you downloaded in the above step is a compressed .zip file.
1. Position the mouse on the zip file and right-click.
2. From the popup menu, select Extract All to extract the software
Step 3: Start the installation process
1. From the extracted folder, find the file 3CXAutoVoicemailInstaller.exe
2. Double-click the file to start the VoIPTools Setup Wizard.
3. Click Next to continue.
Step 4: Download the VoIPTools 3CX Relay (if required)
3CX permits one 3rd party application to communicate with the 3CX server at a time. To overcome this limitation, VoIPTools created the 3CX Relay Service. The Relay is a lightweight application that is installed directly on the 3CX server. The Relay exposes the 3CX Call Control API (and other VoIPTools services) to all our applications, and manages requests and events between VoIPTools products and 3CX. The Relay also makes it possible to install our VoIPTools products on a remote server (including over the internet).
1. If you have not previously installed the Relay on your 3CX Server, you can download the Relay installer by clicking on the Download Relay button. The Relay must be installed directly on the 3CX server.
2. If you are installing 3CX Auto Voicemail directly on the 3CX server, you can install the Relay simply by clicking the Install/ Upgrade Relay button and following the Relay install instructions.
Step 5: Test Relay Settings
1. In the Relay Type drop down, select Legacy Relay for old Relay or New Relay for new Relay based on the 3CX version of your application.
If you choose ‘Relay Type’ as ‘Legacy Relay’ then ‘3CX Auto Voicemail’ will communicate with old Relay Service, and if you choose ‘New Relay’ then it will communicate with new Relay Service.
2. In the Relay Services Host field, enter “localhost” if installing ‘3CX Auto Voicemail’ on the 3CX server. If 3CX resides on a different server, enter the IP address or FQDN of the 3CX server.
3. In the Relay Services Port field, enter the value as 8700 for Legacy Relay or 8800 for New Relay.
The ‘3CX Auto Voicemail’ will take default port as 8700 for ‘Legacy Relay’ and 8800 for ‘New Relay’. If the default port number doesn’t appear automatically, you can manually enter the respective default port number.
4. Click Test Relay Settings to confirm ‘3CX Auto Voicemail’ can communicate with the Relay services running on the 3CX server.
5. If the ‘3CX Auto Voicemail’ is successfully able to communicate with the Relay services that run on the 3CX server, a Success message box appears. Click OK.
6. Click Next to continue the installation.
Step 6: Configure the database
If this is your first install then, select a valid SQL server and if you are reinstalling then select the existing database.
1. When prompted for the database connection information, click Configure.
2. In the Connection Properties dialog box, enter the SQL server name. If using the free SQL Express edition, the default SQL Instance name is
i. In the Connection Properties dialog box, and under Log on to the server section:
a. Select Use SQL Server Authentication option and enter valid SQL login account and password.
b. Technical administrators can alternatively select Use SQL Server Authentication, but we recommend using SQL Authentication when possible.
3. To have the installer create the database for you, leave the Select or enter a database name field blank. To use a pre-existing database, select the desired database from the drop-down list.
4. Click the Test Connection button to confirm connectivity to SQL Server.
5. Click OK to save the SQL Connection information.
6. Click Next to create the required SQL database objects.
7. The server installation status screen will display the installation progress.
8. An alert message appears that suggests you perform the installation only when you don’t have any active calls running.
i. Click OK if you don’t have any active calls running to continue the installation.
ii. Click Cancel if you want to cancel the installation process and retry when you don’t have any active calls running.
9. When the software installation is complete, click Close
Registration is required to enable your software. Registering also makes it possible for VoIPTools to provide a replacement key if your license key is ever lost. Also, it enables VoIPTools to notify you of any product updates, and reminders if your key is reaching the renewal date.
1. On the 3CX Auto Voicemail configuration screen, in the License tab, enter your registration information in all the required fields (Note the red dot denotes a required field).
2. Click Register.
To access the ‘3CX Auto Voicemail’ web portal, click the Web Portal button on the configuration program, or click on the desktop icon that was created during the installation process (3CX Auto Voicemail Web).
When connecting to the web portal, you will be asked to provide login credentials.
1. In the Extension field, enter your 3CX extension number
2. In the PIN field, enter your 3CX Voicemail PIN
3. Click Login button to login to your account
4. Once you have logged into the 3CX Auto Voicemail web portal, the system displays the following screen:
Auto Voicemails screen enables you to create a new recording, upload, play or delete an existing recording, and send a select voicemail message to the incoming caller.
Figure 16: Auto Voicemails screen
5.1.1. Create New Recording
1. Press the Record button.
2. In the Enter recording name field, enter the name for the new recording that you want to create.
3. Click Call my Extension button. 3CX will call your extension and prompt you to record your message.
5.1.2. Play a Recording
1. From the Existing Recordings list, select the recording that you want to play.
2. Click Play button. The web portal will display a audio player with the selected recording.
5.1.3. Delete Existing Recording
1. From the Existing Recordings list, select the recording that you want to delete.
2. Click Delete button.
5.1.4. Have 3CX Leave a Voicemail for You
1. When your call is connected to a voicemail box, after the beep prompting you to leave a message, select one of your prerecorded messages from the Existing Records list.
2. Click the Send Voicemail button.
Settings enable you to customize branding settings for the application that include the following:
1. Customize the gradient color of ‘Application Header’
2. Customize grid color in screens that display grid data
3. Customize logo on the ‘Application Header’
4. Customize ‘Header Title Prefix’ on the ‘Application Header’
Custom Brand Settings
1. In the Custom Branding Settings form, perform the following Brand Setting Customizations:
a. Customize Application Title Header – Gradient Color
i. Beside Header Gradient Color and from the Top Color palette, select the desired color that you want to display as the top color for the ‘Application Title Header’.
ii. From the Bottom Color palette, select the desired color that you want to display at the bottom of the ‘Application Title Header’ in gradient to the selected Top Color.
b. Customize Grid Color
i. From the Grid Color palette, select the color that you want to display for the grid in screens that display grid data.
c. Customize Logo
i. If you are uploading the logo for the first time then, beside Upload New Logo field, click Browse and select the logo that you want to apply. You will now observe that the logo is added to the Custom Logo drop down list.
ii. From the Custom Logo drop down list, select the logo that you have just uploaded.
d. Customize ‘Header Title Prefix’ Text
3. Once you perform desired customizations, click Apply.
Visit our website to access our on-line manuals and receive quick answers to most of your questions. Otherwise, you can contact us by phone, email, live chat and on the VoIPTools forums.
Our team is ready to assist you with answers to your technical questions, during normal business hours, which is Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM (Central Standard Time), and 8:00 AM to 12:00 AM (Indian Standard Time).
• Windows Event Log (Applications and Services > VoIPTools)
The Windows Event Log lists various errors, information messages and warnings related to all our VoIPTools applications and services. The data here can be used for troubleshooting various application errors.
Our forum is intended for VoIPTools customers to collaborate on real-life challenges, solutions and best practices. You can participate on our forum at: https://www.voiptools.com/community/
• Submit a Bug
If you suspect a bug in any of our VoIPTools products, you can bring it to our notice by reporting your issue at: https://www.voiptools.com/report-a-bug/
• Live Chat
Our chat support team is ready to acknowledge your queries in real-time. You can start a live chat with us by simply clicking on the Live Chat button at the lower right corner of our web page.
You can email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to describe your issue in detail. We’ll get back to you within one business day of receiving your request.
You can call us at +1 801-642-4655 to reach a representative. VoIPTools will accept calls at this number from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM (Central Standard Time).
• Support Services
If you purchased our products through a VoIPTools Partner, your Partner will provide first level support. Partners have access to 100% free technical support, provided they participate actively in the troubleshooting process.
VoIPTools customers have access to our on-line manuals and we will respond to emails (next business day) and live chat, but we will not login to your servers remotely.
If you purchase “Installation Support’ our support team can login to your servers and install and configure all our tools for you. This includes installing SQL Server Express and Internet Information Server if required. Our team will work with you to configure our applications to best meet your needs.
Whether through one of our commercial products, or a custom solution built to meet your specific needs, we can help you get the most out of your 3CX investment. Call us today!Contact Us