With 3CX Call Router it is simple to route inbound calls based on Caller ID. This tool allows you to identify a caller based on any number of digits (not just area code) and route to a selected extension. Further, you can optionally choose to route to different locations based on time of day.
For example, do you need to route sales calls based on geographical region to the correct salesperson? Do you want a customer to always be routed to the same agent? You can do that. Need to route these calls to a different location outside of office hours? You can do that too. It’s all easily managed with a secured web portal using 3CX Call Router.
Before installing ‘3CX Call Router’, you need to ensure that your computer meets the minimum requirements mentioned below:
1. 3CX Version V16 and V18
2. Windows 10 or above / Windows Server 2012 or above
3. Microsoft SQL Server 2014 or above (Including the free SQL Express edition)
4. Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS) 7.0 or above
5. .Net 4.7.2 or above
• When installing IIS, be sure to install Basic Authentication, .Net Extensibility, and ASP.Net 4.X
You can order ‘3CX Call Router’ on-line at https://www.voiptools.com. Your order confirmation email will include your license key and a link to download the software.
There are a number of prerequisites that must be installed prior to installing ‘3CX Call Router’. These prerequisites include Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS) and Microsoft SQL Server
Install 3CX Call Router
This User Guide contains step-by-step instructions to successfully install ‘3CX Call Router’. Begin by extracting the installer from the downloaded zip file (Step 1 above), then run the setup program named 3CXCallRouterInstaller.exe
Register your License Key
You must register your license key to activate ‘3CX Call Router’. Your license key is included in your order confirmation email, and can also be found in your order history on our website.
4.Step By Step Installation Procedure
The following section guides you through a detailed walk-through of the installation process.
Step 1: Download ‘3CX Call Router’
You can check for the software download link included in your order confirmation email. As an alternative, you can also find the link from your order history on our website.
Step 2: Extract the installer from the downloaded .zip file
The file you downloaded in the above step is a compressed .zip file.
1. Position the mouse on the zip file and right-click.
2. In the right-click menu, select Properties and then click Unblock.
3. Again right-click on the zip file and then in the right-click menu, select Extract All to extract the software
Step 3: Start the installation process
1. From the extracted folder, find the file 3CXCallRouterInstaller.exe
2. Double-click the file to start the VoIPTools Setup Wizard.
3. Click Next to continue.
Step 4: Download the VoIPTools 3CX Relay (if required)
3CX permits one 3rd party application to communicate with the 3CX server at a time. To overcome this limitation, VoIPTools created the 3CX Relay Service. The Relay is a lightweight application that is installed directly on the 3CX server. The Relay exposes the 3CX Call Control API (and other VoIPTools services) to all our applications, and manages requests and events between VoIPTools products and 3CX. The Relay also makes it possible to install our VoIPTools products on a remote server (including over the internet).
1. If you have not previously installed the Relay on your 3CX Server, you can download the Relay installer by clicking on the Download Relay button. The Relay must be installed directly on the 3CX server.
2. If you are installing ‘3CX Call Router’ directly on the 3CX server, you can install the Relay simply by clicking the Install/ Upgrade Relay button and following the Relay install instructions.
Step 5: Test Relay Settings
1. In the Relay Type drop down, select Legacy Relay for old Relay or New Relay for new Relay based on the 3CX version of your application.
If you choose ‘Relay Type’ as ‘Legacy Relay’ then ‘3CX Call Router’ will communicate with old Relay Service, and if you choose ‘New Relay’ then it will communicate with new Relay Service.
2. In the Relay Services Host field, enter “localhost” if installing ‘3CX Call Router’ on the 3CX server. If 3CX resides on a different server, enter the IP address or FQDN of the 3CX server.
3. In the Relay Services Port field, enter the value as 8700 for Legacy Relay or 8800 for New Relay.
The ‘3CX Call Router’ will take default port as 8700 for ‘Legacy Relay’ and 8800 for ‘New Relay’. If the default port number doesn’t appear automatically, you can manually enter the respective default port number.
4. Click Test Relay Settings to confirm ‘3CX Call Router’ can communicate with the Relay services running on the 3CX server.
5. If the ‘3CX Call Router’ is successfully able to communicate with the Relay services that run on the 3CX server, a Success message box appears. Click OK.
6. Click Next to continue the installation.
Step 6: Configure the database
If this is your first install then, select a valid SQL server and if you are reinstalling then select the existing database.
1. When prompted for the database connection information, click Configure.
2. In the Connection Properties dialog box, enter the SQL server name. If using the free SQL Express edition, the default SQL Instance name is
- If you want to use ‘SQL Authentication’, then install SQL Server in ‘Mixed‘ mode.
- If SQL Server is installed on a server other than the server where ‘3CX Call Router’ is installed, you will need to configure SQL Server to allow remote connections
3. Enter the login credentials.
a. If using Windows integrated security, select Use Windows Authentication. The VoIPTools installer will create a local windows user name as “VoIPToys” and will give sufficient rights to this user to create / update the SQL database.
b. If SQL Server authentication is desired, select Use SQL Server Authentication. Be sure to select a SQL Login that has sufficient permissions to alter the database and create SQL objects. Enter the User name and Password, and select appropriate database value from the Select or enter a database name drop down.
4. Click Test Connection button to confirm you can connect to SQL
5. Click OK to save the SQL Connection information
6. Click Next to create the required SQL database objects.
Step 7: Installation Complete
1. The server installation status screen will display the installation progress.
To access the ‘3CX Call Router’ web portal, click on the desktop icon that was created during the installation process (‘3CX Call Router’ Web).
When connecting to the web portal, you will be asked to provide login credentials.
1. In the Extension field, enter your 3CX extension number.
2. In the PIN field, enter your 3CX voicemail PIN.
3. Click Login button to login to your account.
4. If an upgraded version of the application is available in VoIPTools website when compared to that installed in your system then the login page displays both the build versions as Latest and Installed respectively, and also gives you a provision to download the latest version from the VoIPTools website.
5. Click Download and in the A new version is available dialog box, click Download.
4. If the installed version in your system is same as that of the latest build available in VoIPTools website, then the login page displays as Up to Date.
Registration is required to authorize your license key. Registering also makes it possible for VoIPTools to provide a replacement key if your license key is ever lost. Also, it enables VoIPTools to notify you of any product updates, and reminders if your key is reaching the renewal date.
1. In the License screen and in the License Key field, enter the valid license key.
2. Enter appropriate details in all the other fields of the page.
3. Click Register.
The CFD Screen enables you to create new CFDs and define routings in the system based on ‘Time Restriction’ and ‘Lookback Time’.
|Title||The title of the CFD|
|CFD||The extension number to which the caller makes the call|
|Default Route||The extension to which the calls must be routed based on the conditions mentioned below:
• In Route Screen, the ‘Caller ID’ and ‘Extension’ is null for a CFD
• In CFD Screen:
— The Time Restriction is not enabled
— The Time Restriction is enabled and the current call time is within the ‘Time Restriction’ and ‘Look Back’ time frame limits
— The Time Restriction is enabled but the current call time is out of ‘Time Restriction’ time frame limit
|Voicemail Extension||The extension to which the calls must be routed based on the conditions mentioned below:
• In Route Screen, the Caller ID and Extension is null for a CFD
• In CFD Screen, The Time Restriction is enabled and the current call time is within the ‘Time Restriction’ limits but not within the ‘Look Back’ time frame
|Restriction Start Time||It is the defined timing of the day that restricts the routing of the call to either Default extension or Voicemail extension|
|Time Restriction||Check the check box to enable Time Restriction feature|
|Lookback Time||It is the time frame since the last specified hours during which the current call has been made, or not|
|Publish||Activating a CFD|
5.2.1. Add/ Delete CFD
1. In the CFD screen, and on the left hand side of the column header, click the Add button
2. In the new record, enter valid and appropriate data in all the fields.
3. To enable Time Restriction for a call, check the Time Restriction check box.
4. To activate the CFD, in the Publish column, click Publish hyperlink associated to respective CFD and in the Information message box, click OK.
5. To save the CFD, at the footer of the Routing CFD Maintenance page, click Save or click Cancel Changes to cancel the changes you have made to the CFD.
6. To delete an existing CFD, click Delete button associated to respective CFD and in the Delete Confirmation message box, click OK.
The Route Screen enables you to perform route maintenance. The ‘3CX Call Router’ will route an incoming call to either Extension Number mentioned in Route Screen or to Default Route or Voicemail Extension mentioned in CFD Screen based on the conditions mentioned below:
|CFD||Published CFD in the CFD screen|
|Caller ID||Specific extension from which you want to make the call|
|Extension||Specific extension to which you want to get the call|
The Logs screen generates time-stamped events of all the call transactions automatically. From here, you can view the time at which specific call has been performed, caller number, the CFD extension to which the call has been made, and the extension number to which the call has been routed.
Visit our website to access our on-line manuals and receive quick answers to most of your questions. Otherwise, you can contact us by phone, email, live chat and on the VoIPTools forums.
Our team is ready to assist you with answers to your technical questions and we now offer 24/7, 365 days a year.
• Windows Event Log (Applications and Services ? VoIPTools)
The Windows Event Log lists various errors, information messages and warnings related to all our VoIPTools applications and services. The data here can be used for troubleshooting various application errors.
Our forum is intended for VoIPTools customers to collaborate on real-life challenges, solutions and best practices. You can participate on our forum at: https://www.voiptools.com/community/
• Submit a Bug
If you suspect a bug in any of our VoIPTools products, you can bring it to our notice by reporting your issue at: https://www.voiptools.com/report-a-bug/
• Live Chat
Our chat support team is ready to acknowledge your queries in real-time. You can start a live chat with us by simply clicking on the Live Chat button at the lower right corner of our web page.
You can email us at: email@example.com. Be sure to describe your issue in detail. We’ll get back to you within one business day of receiving your request.
You can call us at +1 801-642-4655 to reach a representative. VoIPTools will accept calls at this number from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM (Central Standard Time).
• Support Services
If you purchased our products through a VoIPTools Partner, your Partner will provide first level support. Partners have access to 100% free technical support, provided they participate actively in the troubleshooting process.
VoIPTools customers have access to our on-line manuals and we will respond to emails (next business day) and live chat, but we will not login to your servers remotely.
If you purchase “Installation Support’ our support team can login to your servers and install and configure all our tools for you. This includes installing SQL Server Express and Internet Information Server if required. Our team will work with you to configure our applications to best meet your needs.