Today, even small business owners are empowering themselves with call recording systems. Hence, it is critical that you use a beep tone generator into your recorded phone calls if you want to keep yourselves away from legal compliance and be courteous to your customers. VoIPTools is now ready with 3CX Recording Beep that inserts an audible beep into your recording phone calls to initially alert and then prompt the call participants at regular intervals that the phone call is being recorded. This ensures that the callers are aware of the ongoing call recording. It also contents legal requirements for phone recording in some of the U.S. states and other countries.
1.1. How does it work?
Once the phone call has started to record, the 3CX Recording Beep waits for the specified initial delay (in seconds) and then plays an audible beep to alert both the call participants about the ongoing call recording. This will be the last beep for the call if you have opted to play the beep only once. However, if you have opted to play the beep throughout the ongoing call, then the 3CX Recording Beep continues to play the beep according to the configured frequency (in seconds) until the call lasts.
Before you begin with the installation steps mentioned in this guide, you need to ensure that your computer meets the minimum requirements mentioned below for installing 3CX Recording Beep.
1. 3CX Version 15.5 (Professional or Enterprise Version Only)
2. Windows 10 and above / Windows Server 2012 and above
3. Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express and above
4. .Net 4.6 or above
You can order ‘3CX Recording Beep’ on-line at http://www.voiptools.com. Your order confirmation email will include your license key and a link to download the software.
There are a number of prerequisites that must be installed prior to installing ‘3CX Recording Beep’. These prerequisites include Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS) and Microsoft SQL Server
Install 3CX Recording Beep
This User Guide contains step-by-step instructions to successfully install ‘3CX Recording Beep’. Begin by extracting the installer from the downloaded zip file (Step 1 above), then run the setup program named 3CXRecordingBeepInstaller.exe
Register your License Key
You must register your license key to activate ‘3CX Recording Beep’. Your license key is included in your order confirmation email, and can also be found in your order history on our website.
The following section guides you through a detailed walk-through of the installation process.
Step 1: Download 3CX Recording Beep
You can check for the software download link included in your order confirmation email. As an alternative, you can also find the link from your order history on our website.
Step 2: Extract the installer from the downloaded .zip file
The file you downloaded in the above step is a compressed .zip file.
1. Position the mouse on the zip file and right-click.
2. From the popup menu, select Extract All to extract the software
Step 3: Start the installation process
1. From the extracted folder, find the file 3CXRecordingBeepInstaller.exe
2. Double-click the file to start the VoIPTools Setup Wizard.
3. Click Next to continue.
Step 4: Download the VoIPTools 3CX Relay (if required)
3CX permits one 3rd party application to communicate with the 3CX server at a time. To overcome this limitation, VoIPTools created the 3CX Relay Service. The Relay is a lightweight application that is installed directly on the 3CX server. The Relay exposes the 3CX Call Control API (and other VoIPTools services) to all our applications, and manages requests and events between VoIPTools products and 3CX. The Relay also makes it possible to install our VoIPTools products on a remote server (including over the internet).
1. If you have not previously installed the Relay on your 3CX Server, you can download the Relay installer by clicking on the Download Relay button. The Relay must be installed directly on the 3CX server.
2. If you are installing ‘3CX Recording Beep’ directly on the 3CX server, you can install the Relay simply by clicking the Install/ Upgrade Relay button and following the Relay install instructions.
Step 5: Test Relay Settings
1. In the Relay Services Host field, enter “localhost” if installing ‘3CX Recording Beep’ on the 3CX server. If 3CX resides on a different server, enter the IP address or FQDN of the 3CX server.
2. In the Relay Services Port field, enter the value as 8700
The default port number is 8700.
3. Click Test Relay Settings to confirm ‘3CX Recording Beep’can communicate with the Relay services running on the 3CX server.
4. Click Next to continue the installation.
Step 6: Configure the database
If this is your first install then, select a valid SQL server and if you are reinstalling then select the existing database.
1. When prompted for the database connection information, click Configure.
2. In the Connection Properties dialog box, enter the SQL server name. If using the free SQL Express edition, the default SQL Instance name is
3. Enter the login credentials.
a. If using Windows integrated security, select Use Windows Authentication. The VoIPTools installer will create a local windows user name as “VoIPToys” and will give sufficient rights to this user to create / update the SQL database.
b. If SQL Server authentication is desired, select Use SQL Server Authentication. Be sure to select a SQL Login that has sufficient permissions to alter the database and create SQL objects. Enter the User name and Password, and select appropriate database value from the Select or enter a database name drop down.
4. Click Test Connection button to confirm you can connect to SQL
5. Click OK to close the test results dialog
6. Click Next to continue the installation
Step 7: Run the Application
Once the installation is complete, click Run Application
The ‘3CX Recording Beep’ configuration screen enables you to register software, configure beep options for desired group and desired type of calls, and start/stop ‘3CX Recording Beep’ service.
5.1. Register Software (License tab)
Registration is required to enable your software. Registering also makes it possible for VoIPTools to provide a replacement key if your license key is ever lost. Also, it enables VoIPTools to notify you of any product updates, and reminders if your key is reaching the renewal date.
1. On the 3CX Recording Beep configuration screen, in the License tab, enter your registration information in all the required fields (Note the red dot denotes a required field).
2. Click Register.
5.2. Configure ‘3CX Recording Beep’ Settings (Settings tab)
The Settings tab enables you to configure beep settings for the desired group, and for the desired type of calls like Queue Calls/Inbound/Outbound calls. You can also configure the beep settings to play only once or as per the configured frequency.
The beep sound that plays during the ongoing call recording is an audio file that you select while creating the digital receptionist in the 3CX console. Other settings for the digital receptionist in the Create Digital Receptionist page should be configured in the Destination for invalid or no DTMF input section as mentioned in the image below:
• Instructions to Configure Beep Settings
1. In the Settings tab, and from the Group Name drop down, select the desired group from the list for which you want to apply the beep settings.
2. Beside Beep Options:
a. Select Only Queue Calls option if you want to apply beep settings only for the Queue Calls.
b. Select All Calls option if you want to apply beep settings to any or all of the type of calls like Inbound/Outbound/Queue Calls by checking the desired check boxes.
3. Beside Play Options, check Play Once check box if you want ‘3CX Recording Beep’ to beep only once during the ongoing call recording. Or, uncheck the option if you want to play the beep periodically as per the configured frequency (in secs)
4. In the Queue field, enter the desired ‘Queue Number’ so that the beep settings will be applied to all the calls associated to that queue.
5. In the Extension to Barge field, enter the number of the Digital Receptionist that would barge and beep during the ongoing call recording as per the configured beep settings.
6. In the Frequency field, set the frequency (in secs) using up and down arrows so that ‘3CX Recording Beep’ will start to beep periodically (after the ‘Initial Delay’ beep) as per the configured frequency.
7. In the Initial Delay field, set the time (in secs) using up and down arrows so that ‘3CX Recording Beep’ will initiate the first beep as per the configured timing (in secs). The initial delay is the time lapsed since the call recording has started.
8. Click Save to save the beep settings that you have just configured.
5.3. Start/Stop ‘3CX Recording Beep Service’
1. To start or stop a service, at the footer of the 3CX Recording Beep configuration screen, click Start/ Stop buttons respectively.
2. Click Refresh link to update the status if changes to the service status were made directly in the Windows Service Snap-in.
Visit our website to access our on-line manuals and receive quick answers to most of your questions. Otherwise, you can contact us by phone, email, live chat and on the VoIPTools forums.
Our team is ready to assist you with answers to your technical questions, during normal business hours, which is Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM (Central Standard Time), and 8:00 AM to 12:00 AM (Indian Standard Time).
• Windows Event Log (Applications and Services ? VoIPTools)
The Windows Event Log lists various errors, information messages and warnings related to all our VoIPTools applications and services. The data here can be used for troubleshooting various application errors.
Our forum is intended for VoIPTools customers to collaborate on real-life challenges, solutions and best practices. You can participate on our forum at: https://www.voiptools.com/community/
• Submit a Bug
If you suspect a bug in any of our VoIPTools products, you can bring it to our notice by reporting your issue at: https://www.voiptools.com/product-download-page/
• Live Chat
Our chat support team is ready to acknowledge your queries in real-time. You can start a live chat with us by simply clicking on the Live Chat button at the lower right corner of our web page.
You can email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to describe your issue in detail. We’ll get back to you within one business day of receiving your request.
You can call us at +1 801-642-4655 to reach a representative. VoIPTools will accept calls at this number from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM (Central Standard Time).
• Support Services
If you purchased our products through a VoIPTools Partner, your Partner will provide first level support. Partners have access to 100% free technical support, provided they participate actively in the troubleshooting process.
VoIPTools customers have access to our on-line manuals and we will respond to emails (next business day) and live chat, but we will not login to your servers remotely.
If you purchase “Installation Support’ our support team can login to your servers and install and configure all our tools for you. This includes installing SQL Server Express and Internet Information Server if required. Our team will work with you to configure our applications to best meet your needs.
Whether through one of our commercial products, or a custom solution built to meet your specific needs, we can help you get the most out of your 3CX investment. Call us today!Contact Us