Disk space management is one of the real challenges in organizations that are legally mandated to save phone conversation recordings. 3CX Recording Manager is a 3CX/ PBX plugin, that makes the job easy for you by enabling you to archive 3CX recordings as MP3 files to an alternate location (on a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device for example), or to an alternate email address. MP3 files require a fraction of the space needed compared to WAV files (approximately 1/7 the original size).
Providing an automated method of reducing the file size, and making an archive copy of the recording to an alternate location, will help reduce storage requirements and ensure a permanent copy of the recording is saved. The retention policy will automatically delete old recordings that are older than the specified date.
1.1. What is Recording Manager?
3CX Recording Manager is a 3CX/PBX plugin that allows you to easily manage (archive, compress, purge) your call recordings using simple web portal. You can record individual calls on an ad-hoc basis, record all calls made by a specific extension(s), or record all calls on the entire phone system.
1.2. Why Recording Manager?
3CX Recording Manager makes everything EASY!
1. Easy to find, listen, and manage 3CX Recordings
2. Easy to install/update
3. Easy to use with standard browsers (Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari)
4. Easy access via PC, MAC, or Smart Phone
5. Easy to delete old recordings that take up lots of space on the server
6. Easy to administer using the built-in 3CX login database
7. Easy to manage which extensions are recorded right from the web portal
8. Easy to purchase (uses free tools from Microsoft)
1.3. How to Use Recording Manager?
3CX Recording Manager is a one-time installation process. Once you install it, the recordings can be maintained based on the Delete Policy and Archive Policy that you set at the time of installation.
1.4. 3CX Recording Manager as a Remote Server Support
3CX Recording Manager can be installed either directly on the 3CX server, or on a remote server. Installing on a remote server requires installation of the 3CX Relay Agent on the 3CX Server, but the Windows service, SQL Server, and web portal can all be installed on separate servers.
Before you begin with the installation steps mentioned in this guide, you need to ensure that your computer meets the minimum requirements mentioned below for installing 3CX Recording Manager.
1. 3CX Version 11 – 15.5
2. Windows 10 and above / Windows Server 2012 (64 bit) and above
3. Microsoft SQL Server 2008 – 2014 Express (Recommend 2014)
4. To play recordings within browser requires HTML5 audio support
5. .Net 4.5 or above
6. Installation on a Domain Controller is possible but will require VoIPTools technical assistance @ $115 per hour
You can order 3CX Recording Manager on-line at http://www.voiptools.com. Your order confirmation email will include your license key and a link to download the software.
There are a number of prerequisites that must be installed prior to installing 3CX Recording Manager. These prerequisites include Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS) and Microsoft SQL Server
Install 3CX Recording Manager
This User Guide contains step-by-step instructions to successfully install 3CX Recording Manager. Begin by extracting the installer from the downloaded zip file (Step 1 above), then run the setup program named 3CXRecordingManagerInstaller.exe
Register Your License Key
You must register your license key to activate 3CX Recording Manager. Your license key is included in your order confirmation email, and can also be found in your order history on our website.
Configure Email Server Settings
3CX Recording Manager can email your recordings to you automatically. You have 4 choices: (1) email recordings to the person who initiated the recording, (2) email all recordings to a single address, (3) have emails sent to the person who initiated the recording and a central address, or (4) do not email recordings.
Configure Email Server Settings
33CX Recording Manager can be configured to automatically delete old recordings, thus helping to conserve disk space. It can also automatically convert recordings to .MP3 format and save the recordings at an alternate location. You can also have recordings deleted after emailing the recording.
The following section guides you through a detailed walk-through of the installation process.
Step 1: Download 3CX Recording Manager
You can check for the software download link included in your order confirmation email. As an alternative, you can also find the link from your order history on our website.
Step 2: Extract the installer from the downloaded .zip file
The file you downloaded in the above step is a compressed .zip file.
1. Position the mouse on the zip file and right-click.
2. From the popup menu, select Extract All to extract the software
Step 3: Start the installation process
1. From the extracted folder, find the file Recording Manager Installer.exe
2. Double-click the file to start the VoIPTools Setup Wizard.
3. Click Next to continue.
Special note for Multi-tenant installations:
1. If you are installing 3CX Recording Manager on a 3CX Cloud (Multi-tenant) server, an additional screen will display with a combo box containing a list of all installed tenants. Select the correct tenant and continue.
2. If you are installing 3CX Recording Manager on a separate server and pointing it to a 3CX Cloud server, you will need to tell the installer the name of the specific tenant desired. Start the installer from a command window and include an additional parameter: tenantname=<your-tenant-name>. Passing the tenant name to the installer will pre-fill the combo box with the correct tenant name. For example:3CXRecordingManager .exe tenantname=the3CXtenantname
Step 4: Download the VoIPTools 3CX Relay (if required)
3CX permits one 3rd party application to communicate with the 3CX server at a time. To overcome this limitation, VoIPTools created the 3CX Relay Service. The Relay is a lightweight application that is installed directly on the 3CX server. The Relay exposes the 3CX Call Control API (and other VoIPTools services) to all our applications, and manages requests and events between VoIPTools products and 3CX. The Relay also makes it possible to install our VoIPTools products on a remote server (including over the internet).
1. If you have not previously installed the Relay on your 3CX Server, you can download the Relay installer by clicking on the Download Relay button. The Relay must be installed directly on the 3CX server.
2. If you are installing 3CX Recording Manager directly on the 3CX server, you can install the Relay simply by clicking the Install/ Upgrade Relay button and following the Relay install instructions.
Step 5: Test Relay Settings
1. In the Relay Services Host field, enter “localhost” if installing 3CX Recording Manager on the 3CX server. If 3CX resides on a different server, enter the IP address or FQDN of the 3CX server.
2. In the Relay Services Port field, enter the value as 8700
The default port number is 8700 but will likely be different in multi-tenant environment
3. Click Test Relay Settings to confirm 3CX Recording Manager can communicate with the Relay services running on the 3CX server.
4. Click Next to continue the installation.
Step 6: Configure the database
If this is your first install then, select a valid SQL server and if you are reinstalling then select the existing database.
1. When prompted for the database connection information, click Configure.
2. In the Connection Properties dialog box, enter the SQL server name. If using the free SQL Express edition, the default SQL Instance name is <your-server-name>\SQLExpress.
3. Enter the login credentials.
a. If using Windows integrated security, select Use Windows Authentication. The VoIPTools installer will create a local windows user name as “VoIPToys” and will give sufficient rights to this user to create / update the SQL database.
b. If SQL Server authentication is desired, select Use SQL Server Authentication. Be sure to select a SQL Login that has sufficient permissions to alter the database and create SQL objects. Enter the User name and Password, and select appropriate database value from the Select or enter a database name drop down.
4. Click Test Connection button to confirm you can connect to SQL
5. Click OK to close the test results dialog
6. Click Next to continue the installation
Step 7: Run the Application
Once the installation is complete, click Run Application
The 3CX Recording Manager Settings screen enables you to register the software, configure recording path, archive path, email server settings, time zone, import existing records, set retention policy and connect to web portal.
5.1. License screen: Register Software
Registration is required to authorize your license key. Registering also makes it possible for VoIPTools to provide a replacement key if your license key is ever lost. Also, it enables VoIPTools to notify you of any product updates, and reminders if your key is reaching the renewal date.
1. Click License tab and enter registration information.
2. Click Register
3. Confirmation message box appears. Click OK.
5.2. Import screen
5.2.1. Configure Recording and Archive Path
1. In the Import tab, and under Run stand-alone importer, click Import Tool button. The system displays 3CX Recording Manager Importer dialog box
2. In the dialog box, you can proceed with the default Recording Path or edit by browsing through More button.
3. To archive the recordings, check Archive check box.
4. You can proceed with the default Archive path or edit by browsing through More button.
5. Click Save.
5.2.2. Import: Import Existing Recordings
3CX Recording Manager saves recording information in Microsoft SQL Server. You can access this information using the ‘3CX Recording Manager’ web portal. You will need to utilize an existing SQL Server, or install Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (or newer). The free Express edition is usually sufficient.
Once you have configured the ‘Recording’ and ‘Archive’ (optional) paths to store the recordings files, you can import and archive (if ‘Archive’ option was selected) the existing records to the portal.
1. In the 3CX Recording Manager Settings configuration screen and in the Import tab, under Run stand-alone importer click Import Tool button.
2. The 3CX Recording Manager Importer dialog box appears.
3. In the dialog box and in the Import Restrictions section, enter Start and End extension range that you want to import.
4. Check All Extensions or Range check box.
5. To import the files since the last import date check Import starting from last import date and select the appropriate date from the date drop down.
6. Click Import.
7. If you have a large number of recordings to import, you can speed up the process by running multiple instances of the import tool. For this, click Import Tool button on the configuration screen once again while the first instance is running.
8. Once the processing has been completed successfully, confirmation message box appears for each import process. Click OK.
5.4. 3CX screen: Set Recording Path
1. In the 3CX tab, under 3CX section:
a. If the Recording Manager application is installed on the 3CX server, then click Get Settings to store the recording files on the 3CX Server.
b. If the Recording Manager application is installed on a server other than 3CX Server, then click More button to browse for the shared folder where you want to store the recording files.
2. Under Web Portal Rights section:
a. From the Download rights dropdown, select desired option to control who can download recordings in the web portal.
b. From the Email rights dropdown, select desired option to control who can email the recorded audio files in the web portal.
c. From the Delete rights dropdown, select desired option to control who can delete recordings in the web portal.
d. Check Record Only Inbound External Calls check box to instruct 3CX Recording Manager to record only inbound external calls.
3. Click Save to save the changes that you have just made to the 3CX tab.
5.5. Email screen: Configure Email Server Settings
1. In the Email tab, check Email Recordings checkbox if you want to email call recordings.
2. Enter appropriate details in all the fields.
5.6. Retention screen: Set Retention Policy
Retention policy allows you to control the storage of call recordings.
5.6.1. Delete Policy
i. In the Retention tab, under Delete Policy, check Delete recording after sending email checkbox if you want to delete the recording as soon as the recording is mailed as an attachment to the email set in Step:9
ii. Check Delete recordings older than checkbox and set the schedule with appropriate time in Days and Delete at fields. By doing so, once the recordings reach the set schedule, the Recording Manager deletes them from the Recording Path and saves them to the Archive Path.
5.6.2. Archive Policy
i. Under Archive Policy, check Archive checkbox if you want to archive the recordings to another location.
ii. Set Archive Path to the location where you want the call recordings to be archived.
5.7. Windows screen: Windows Authentication
Enter Domain Name, User Name and Password if the Recording Manager and PBX are on different servers, so that the web server (IIS) can access the recordings and update the database.
5.8. Portal: Configure Time Zone
The 3CX Recording Manager Web Portal enables you to easily find recordings using the built-in query manager. From the portal, you can listen to, download, email and delete recordings.
To access the ‘3CX Recording Manager Standard’ web portal, click the Web Portal button on the configuration program (Portal tab on the configuration screen), or click on the desktop icon that was created during the installation process (‘3CX Recording Manager’ Web).
Login to Web Portal
When connecting to the web portal, you will be asked to provide login credentials.
1. In the Extension field, enter your 3CX extension number
2. In the PIN field, enter your 3CX Voicemail PIN
3. Click the Login button to login to your account
Manager and Agent Privileges
As a ‘Manager’, you will be able to view the following tabs:
As an Agent
As an ‘Agent’, you will be able to view the following tabs:
Recordings screen enables you to do the following:
1. View the recorded calls (incoming or outgoing) of those extensions that were either recorded manually, or were set (in the ‘Settings’ screen) to record automatically.
2. Configure Date Time Zone
3. Add new or update existing score for a specific recorded call.
4. Add new or update existing notes for a specific recorded call.
5. Play the specific recorded audio file.
6. Email specific recorded audio file to the desired email address.
7. Download specific recorded audio file to the desired location on your local computer.
|Ext||The extension number of the device that initiated the call.|
|Caller Name||The name of the caller of the extension that initiated the call.|
|Caller Number||The number of the extension/ phone number of the caller that initiated the call.|
|Called Number||The extension/ phone number of the device that received the call from the ‘Caller’.|
|Date||The ‘Date’ (according to the ‘Display Time Zone’) at which the caller initiated the call.|
|Time||The ‘Time’ (according to the ‘Display Time Zone’) at which the caller initiated the call.|
|Duration||The duration of the call that is recorded.|
|Score||It is the ‘Score’ for the recorded call. It is generally between 1 and 10 and the system displays the result in a graphical bar.|
|Recording||The audio file of the recorded call.|
|Archive||If the ‘Recording Manager’ is configured to archive the recorded audio files, then the archived audio file will be displayed in the Web Portal in ‘Recordings’ screen.|
6.1.1. Configure Display Time Zone
1. In the Web Portal, click Recordings tab.
2. From the Display Time Zone drop down, select the time zone in which you want the ‘Recordings’ screen to display ‘Date’ and ‘Time’.
6.1.2. Add New or Update Existing Score
1. In the Recordings screen, click the beside the extension for which you want to add new or update existing score.
2. In the Score box, click up or down arrow to increase or decrease the score accordingly.
3. Click Update Score.
6.1.3. Add New Notes
1. In the Recordings screen, click Expand button beside the extension for which you want to add new notes.
2. In the Note text box, click Add button to display the text box to add the notes.
3. In the text box, type the text for the recorded call.
4. Click Save to save or Cancel to cancel the notes.
6.1.4. Update Existing Notes
1. In the Recordings screen, click Expand button beside the extension for which you want to update the existing notes.
2. In the Notes grid, click Edit button beside the notes that you want to update.
3. Edit the notes in the text box and click Save to save or Cancel to cancel the changes.
6.1.5. Listen/ Email/ Download Recorded Audio File
1. In the Recordings screen, and in the Recording column, click the audio file of the recording that you want to want to listen/ email or download.
2. In the Recording File popup,
i. Click Play button to play the audio file of the recorded call.
ii. Click Email Recording button to email the recorded audio file to the desired email address. Once the file is successfully sent, Success message box appears and click OK
iii. Click Download or Download Recording button to download the recorded audio file and save it to your local computer.
The Settings screen enables you to select the extensions for which you want to automate call recording for both incoming and outgoing calls, and customize brand settings.
Hover over the mouse on Settings tab to display the dropdown menu with the following menu options:
1. Recording Settings
2. Site Settings
6.2.1. Recording Settings
Recording Settings screen enables you to select the extensions for which you want to automate call recording for both incoming and outgoing calls
1. Hover over the mouse on Settings tab and from the drop down menu, select Recording Settings.
2. Check the check box beside all the extensions for which you want to automate call recording for both incoming and outgoing calls.
3. Click Update to save the extensions.
4. Success message box appears. Click OK.
6.2.2. Site Settings
Site Settings enable you to customize branding settings for the application that include the following:
1. Customize the gradient color of ‘Application Header’
2. Customize grid color in screens that display grid data
3. Customize logo on the ‘Application Header’
4. Customize ‘Header Title Prefix’ on the ‘Application Header’
1. Hover over the mouse on Settings tab and from the drop down menu, select Site Settings
2. In the Custom Branding Settings form, perform the following Brand Setting Customizations:
a. Customize Application Title Header – Gradient Color
i. Beside Header Gradient Color and from the Top Color palette, select the desired color that you want to display as the top color for the ‘Application Title Header’.
ii. From the Bottom Color palette, select the desired color that you want to display at the bottom of the ‘Application Title Header’ in gradient to the selected Top Color.
b. Customize Grid Color
i. From the Grid Color palette, select the color that you want to display for the grid in screens that display grid data.
ii. The final display after applying ‘Grid Color’ branding settings:
c. Customize Logo
i. If you are uploading the logo for the first time then, beside Upload New Logo field, click Browse and select the logo that you want to apply. You will now observe that the logo is added to the Custom Logo drop down list.
ii. From the Custom Logo drop down list, select the logo that you have just uploaded.
d. Customize ‘Header Title Prefix’ Text
3. Once you perform desired customizations, click Apply.
Log screen enables you to view the login and logout events of all the sessions along with ‘Date’ and ‘Time’ that is according to the time zone set in ‘Recordings’ screen.
If you need support, would like to request an enhancement to 3CX Recording Manager Standard, or are interested in discussing a custom solution, you can contact as at the following:
Address: 2306 Shimmering Bay Lane, Cincinnati, OH 45244-2760
Hours: Monday – Friday (8:00 A.M. – 6:00 P.M. Central Standard Time)
Phone: USA: +1 801-642-4655
Whether through one of our commercial products, or a custom solution built to meet your specific needs, we can help you get the most out of your 3CX investment. Call us today!Contact Us