Every organization strives to offer better service to its customers. 3CX Survey Creator enables you to collect information that identifies how your customers feel about the services offered by your organization through phone surveys. This information will enable you to identify areas where your organization can improve, increase the quality of services that you provide, and measure the effectiveness of individual staff members.
1.1. What is 3CX Survey Creator?
3CX Survey Creator creates phone based automated surveys. Through a web based application you create Surveys and associate them with a specialized Digital Receptionist (IVR). To take a survey, the caller is transferred to a 3CX Digital Receptionist where a series of questions are asked and the caller’s responses are saved in a SQL database.
1.2. Why 3CX Survey Creator?
1. To survey callers regarding the quality of service provided by your organization.
2. To analyze the caller’s responses and make informed decisions.
1.3. How to use 3CX Survey Creator?
To create a survey, you need to log into the 3CX Survey Creator web portal as an admin. There you can create questions, group questions into surveys, and associate a survey with a specific extension within 3CX. With Survey Creator you can create an extensive library of surveys, and easily modify existing surveys to further refine the information you collect. As an agent, you can transfer a customer’s call to a survey. Once the customer participates in the survey and exits from the call, the survey results can be viewed by the admin.
Before installing 3CX Survey Creator, you need to ensure that your computer meets the minimum requirements mentioned below:
1. 3CX Version V16 and V18 (Professional or Enterprise Version Only)
2. Windows 10 or above / Windows Server 2012 (64 bit) or above
3. Microsoft SQL Server 2014 or above (Including the free SQL Express edition)
4. Microsoft .Net 4.7.2
5. VoIPTools’ 3CX Relay Service installed on the 3CX server
6. Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS) 7.0 or above
7. Installation on a domain controller may require additional assistance
• When installing SQL Server, we recommend you install it in “Mixed Mode” to include SQL Authentication, and install SQL Management Studio
• When installing IIS, be sure to install Basic Authentication, .Net Extensibility, and ASP.Net 4.X
You can order 3CX Survey Creator on-line at https://www.voiptools.com. Your order confirmation email will include your license key and a link to download the software.
There are a number of prerequisites that must be installed prior to installing 3CX Survey Creator. These prerequisites include Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS) and Microsoft SQL Server
Install 3CX Survey Creator
This User Guide contains step-by-step instructions to successfully install 3CX Survey Creator. Begin by extracting the installer from the downloaded zip file (Step 1 above), then run the setup program named 3CXSurveyCreatorInstaller.exe
Register your License Key
You must register your license key to activate 3CX Survey Creator. Your license key is included in your order confirmation email, and can also be found in your order history on our website.
4.Step by step Installation Procedure
The following section guides you through a detailed walk-through of the installation process.
Step 1: Download 3CX Survey Creator
You can check for the software download link included in your order confirmation email. As an alternative, you can also find the link from your order history on our website.
Step 2: Extract the installer from the downloaded .zip file
The file you downloaded in the above step is a compressed .zip file.
1. Position the mouse on the zip file and right-click.
2. From the popup menu, select Extract All to extract the software.
Step 3: Start the installation process
1. From the extracted folder, find the file 3CXSurveyCreatorInstaller.exe
2. Double-click the file to start the VoIPTools Setup Wizard.
3. Click Next to continue.
Step 4: Download the VoIPTools 3CX Relay (if required)
3CX permits one 3rd party application to communicate with the 3CX server at a time. To overcome this limitation, VoIPTools created the 3CX Relay Service. The Relay is a lightweight application that is installed directly on the 3CX server. The Relay exposes the 3CX Call Control API (and other VoIPTools services) to all our applications, and manages requests and events between by VoIPTools products and 3CX. The Relay also makes it possible to install our VoIPTools products on a remote server (including over the internet).
1. If you have not previously installed the Relay on your 3CX Server, you can download the Relay installer by clicking on the Download Relay button. The Relay must be installed directly on the 3CX server.
2. If you are installing 3CX Survey Creator directly on the 3CX server, you can install the Relay simply by clicking the Install/ Upgrade Relay button and following the Relay install instructions.
Step 5: Test the VoIPTools 3CX Relay Settings
1. In the Relay Type drop down, select Legacy Relay for old Relay or New Relay for new Relay based on the 3CX version of your application.
If you choose ‘Relay Type’ as ‘Legacy Relay’ then ‘3CX Survey Creator’ will communicate with old Relay Service, and if you choose ‘New Relay’ then it will communicate with new Relay Service.
2. In the Relay Services Host field, enter “localhost” if installing ‘3CX Survey Creator’ on the 3CX server. If 3CX resides on a different server, enter the IP address or FQDN of the 3CX server.
3. In the Relay Services Port field, enter the value as 8700 for Legacy Relay or 8800 for New Relay.
The ‘3CX Survey Creator’ will take default port as 8700 for ‘Legacy Relay’ and 8800 for ‘New Relay’. If the default port number doesn’t appear automatically, you can manually enter the respective default port number.
4. Click Test Relay Settings to confirm ‘3CXSurvey Creator’ can communicate with the Relay services running on the 3CX server.
5. If the ‘3CX Survey Creator’ is successfully able to communicate with the Relay services that run on the 3CX server, a Success message box appears. Click OK.
6. Click Next to continue the installation.
Step 6: Configure the database
1. When prompted for the database connection information, click Configure.
2. In the Connection Properties dialog box, enter the SQL server name. If using the free SQL Express edition, the default SQL Instance name is
• If SQL Server is installed on a server other than the server where 3CX Survey Creator is installed, you will need to configure SQL Server to allow remote connections.
3. Enter the login credentials.
a. If using Windows integrated security, select Use Windows Authentication. The VoIPTools installer will create a local windows user name as “VoIPTools” and will give sufficient rights to this user to create / update the SQL database.
b. If SQL Server authentication is desired, select Use SQL Server Authentication. Be sure to select a SQL Login that has sufficient permissions to alter the database and create SQL objects. Enter the Username and Password, and select appropriate database value from the Select or enter a database name drop down.
4. Click the Test Connection button to confirm connectivity to SQL Server.
5. Click OK to save the SQL Connection information.
6. Click Next to create the required SQL database objects.
7. When the installation is complete, click Close.
5.3CX Survey Creator - Configuration
The 3CX Survey Creator configuration screen enables you to register software, set recording path, check and upload latest versions of the application, start/ stop 3CX Survey Creator service and connect to the web portal.
5.1. Register Software
Registration is required to authorize your software. Registering also makes it possible for VoIPTools to provide a replacement key if your license key is ever lost. Also, it enables VoIPTools to notify you of any product updates.
1. On the 3CX Survey Creator configuration screen, select License tab.
2. Enter your registration information in all the fields (Note the red dot denotes a required field).
3. Click Register.
5.2. Connect to Web Portal
Click Web Portal button to connect to ‘3CX Survey Creator web portal’ login page.
5.3. Check for Updates
The Check for Updates button on the License tab enables you to easily download the latest version of 3CX Survey Creator. If a newer version of 3CX Survey Creator is available, the message will indicate that a newer version is available. Clicking the button will automatically download a .zip file of the latest version of the software. You can install the new version directly over the top of a previous version without the need to uninstall the previous version.
5.4. Start/ Stop 3CX Survey Creator Service
1. In the Settings screen, and at the footer, click Start to start the service.
2. Click Stop to stop the service.
5.5. Connect to Web Portal
1. In the Settings screen, click Web Portal button.
2. In the License screen, at the footer, click Web Portal.
To access the ‘3CX Survey Creator’ web portal, click the Web Portal button on the configuration program, or click on the desktop icon that was created during the installation process (3CX Survey Creator Web).
An admin logs into web portal to create and edit questions or surveys and view survey results. The ‘Survey Results’ screen enables an admin to view customer’s response and feedback. When an agent transfers customer’s call to a survey, the customer participates in the survey and exits from the call. The survey results are then added to the ‘Survey Results’ screen, which can be viewed by the admin.
When connecting to the web portal, you will be asked to provide login credentials.
1. In the Extension field, enter your 3CX extension number
2. In the PIN field, enter your 3CX voicemail PIN
3. Click Login button to login to your account
Log in as Admin
As an admin, you can add/edit a question or survey, and you can view the survey result.
Login as Agent
As an agent, you can transfer the customer’s call to a survey. You will not be able to view or listen to the customer’s response or feedback for the survey.
• In 3CX Survey Creator 15.5v, all the published CFDs will display in ‘Queues’ tab of 3CX Console Management 15.5v
• In 3CX Survey Creator 16.0v, all the published CFDs will display in ‘Call Flow Designer’ tab of 3CX Console Management 16.0v
• If you want all the CFDs in 3CX Survey Creator 16.0v to be same as that in 15.5v then, delete all the CFDs from ‘Queues’ tab of 3CX Console Management 15.5v and recreate each of them in 3CX Console Management 16.0v and you will find them in ‘Call Flow Designer’ tab.
The Surveys screen allows you to add a new survey, edit or publish an existing survey. Once you create and publish a survey, you need not publish again even if you edit the survey.
6.1.1. Add a Survey
1. On the menu bar, click Surveys
2. In the Survey Maintenance screen, click Add button to create a new survey
3. In the Add/ Edit Survey dialog box and in the Survey CFD field, enter the Survey Extension number.
4. In the Survey Name field, enter the name for current survey.
5. In the Survey Description field, enter the description for current survey.
6. In the Survey Intro Prompt / Survey Close Prompt sections, you can create a either a new ‘Text-To-Speech’ prompt or upload a pre-recorded prompt.
a). To create ‘Text-To-Speech’ prompt:
i. In the Prompt (Text-To-Speech) text field, enter the welcome data (for Survey Intro Prompt) or closing prompt (for Survey Close Prompt) so that the customer will be able to hear the audio format of the text at the beginning of the call.
ii. In the .WAV File field, enter the name for the ‘Text-To-Speech’ prompt.
iii. Click Create to create the Text-To-Speech’ prompt.
b). To upload and play ‘Pre-recorded’ prompt:
i. Beside Prompt .WAV File field, click Browse to browse for the pre-recorded audio file that you saved on your local system.
ii. Click Save to enable the uploaded audio file.
If you click Create, the Survey Creator enables Prompt (Text-To-Speech) file for the customer. On the other hand, if you Browse for the pre-recorded audio file from your local path and click Save, the Survey Creator enables the uploaded file for the customer.
7. To include questions in the survey, from the Available section, select the desired question and click Include. To include all questions in the survey, click Include All.
8. To exclude questions from the survey, from the Included section, select the desired question and click Exclude. To exclude all questions from the survey, click Exclude All.
10. Click Save to save all the data that you have just added to the Add/Edit Survey screen.
6.1.2. Edit a Survey
1. On the menu select Surveys
2. Click Edit button beside the survey that you want to edit
3. To exclude a question, from the Included section, select the questions that you want to exclude and then click Exclude
4. To include a question, from the Available section, select the questions that you want to include and then click click Include
5. Click Save to save your changes
6.1.3. Delete a Survey
1. In the Surveys screen, from the Survey Maintenance screen, click the Delete button beside the survey that you want to delete.
2. In the Confirm Delete message box, click OK
6.1.4. Publish a Survey
1. In the Surveys screen, from the Survey Maintenance screen, look for the added survey that you want to publish
2. Click the Publish link beside the survey that you want to publish. See that the status is now changed as ‘Published’
3. Information message box appears. Click OK
Call Back feature is introduced to conduct an online survey on the product. However, participating in the survey is completely optional to the customer.
When a customer calls the agent, the call connection is automatically diverted to a queue where the customer is offered an option to participate in the survey. Once the customer confirms or rejects the participation, the call connection is diverted to the agent (pre-defined extension) in order to continue with the regular call. Once the customer exits from the current call, the customer will get a call back (pre-defined extension) if the participation was confirmed, and will not get any call back if the participation was rejected. The customer is also given an option to take survey on a different number.
Figure 22: Create Call Back Survey
1. In the CallBack Maintenance page and on the column header, click plus symbol.
2. From the PCS Extension dropdown list, select the survey numbers that published in Survey Tab.
3. From the Call Back Extension dropdown list, create the call back extension number such that it is within the 3cx allotted digit range.
3. In the Agent/Queue field, enter the extension or queue to which the call should be transferred.
4. click Save to save the call back survey CFD.
5. Click Publish to publish the Call Back Survey CFD.
6. Click on Delete symbol to delete the CallBack Survey CFD.
The feature is illustrated below with an example:
1. Customer calls the inbound number.
2. Call connection is diverted to Call Back Survey (for example: 1871)
3. Customer is given an option to confirm or reject the participation in the survey after exiting the current call. (For example: Press 1 to participate or Press 2 to reject and talk to agent)
4. If the customer presses 1 (confirms participation):
a. Customer is asked to confirm the number for call back after exiting the current call.
i. Press 1 to get a call back on the same number, after exiting the current call.
ii. Press 2 to provide a different number on which you want to take the survey after exiting the current call.
b. Once the customer confirms the call back number, call connection exits from the Survey Queue: 1871 and connects to the agent/queue to continue with the regular call.
c. After exiting the current call with agent, customer will get call back on the provided number and once answered, the customer will be transferred to 1781 (PCS Number) to participate in the survey.
5. If the customer presses 2 (rejects participation):
a. The call connection exits from the Call Back Survey: 1781 and connects to the agent to continue with the regular call.
b. After exiting the current call, the customer will not get any call back to participate in the survey.
The Questions screen allows you to add a new question or edit an existing question. The agent should select desired ‘Voice Type’ from the ‘Settings’ tab before creating any survey or Text-To-Speech questions.
To create a new question, you can either create an audio file (.wav file) as ‘Text-to-Speech’, or upload a prerecorded .wav file.
1. On the menu bar, click Questions
2. In the Question Maintenance screen, click to add a new question.
a. On the Add/ Edit Question dialog box, in the Question textbox, type the question
b. Enter the WAV File name
c. From the Valid Answer Values drop down, select the value that best answers the question
d. If your question is about taking a feedback from the customer, from the Valid Answer Values drop down, select Record Feedback option to record the feedback. If you select Yes/ No option then the survey result will save Yes as 1 and No as 0. Similarly, if you select True/ False option, then the survey result will save True as 1 and False as 0.
e. Click Create to generate the .wav file
f. Click to save your changes
Prerecorded Audio File
a. On the Add/ Edit Question dialog box, click the Browse button and select the file to upload
b. Select appropriate option from the Valid Answer Values dropdown for the question.
c. Click to save your changes
6.3.2. Edit a Question
1. Click beside the question that you want to edit
2. To edit ‘Text-To-Speech’, make the desired changes to the text and click Create to update the changes in the audio file
3. You can also edit Valid Answer Values
4. To edit ‘prerecorded’ file, click Browse to change the prerecorded .wav file
5. Click to save your changes
6.4.Survey Results Screen
Once a customer participates in the survey (which can be either during a direct call to the survey or when a logged in extension transfers the participant to survey) and exits from the call, the survey results are added to the Survey Results screen. Here, as an admin, you can view the survey result details like Survey Extension, Survey Name, Survey Date, Question Text, Caller ID, Caller Name, Agent Extension, Agent Name, Response and Feedback.
You can also Reset to clear the Survey Results grid data.
6.4.1. Check Survey Result
1. Login to the Survey Creator web portal as an admin
2. In the Survey Results screen, you can see that the new survey result record has been added. You can look at the Response column to know the survey result.
3. If the customer has accepted to give a feedback, you can play the recorded file
6.4.2. Reset Survey Results Data
The Transfer screen allows you to transfer a customer call to survey. Once you transfer, the customer participates in the survey and the admin will be able to view the survey result from the Survey Results screen.
6.5.1. Transfer Customer Call to a Survey
The Settings tab enables you to configure ‘Text To Speech’ settings and custom brand settings.
Hover your mouse on the Settings tab and from the Settings menu, you can click the desired option to navigate to respective screen.
The Settings include following screens:
6.6.1. TTS Settings
The TTS Settings screen enables you to configure ‘Text To Speech’ settings so that you may create questions, intro prompt (welcome note), close prompt (closing prompt) as ‘Text To Speech’ (.wav file).
1. Hover your mouse on the Settings tab and then from the menu, select TTS Settings.
2. In the Settings tab, and from the TTS Type drop down, select the TTS type as:
a). Windows TTS – if you want to create TTS message (.wav file) using built-in Windows Web Services.
b). Amazon Polly – if you want to create TTS message (.wav file) using Amazon Web Services.
3. From the Locale drop down, select the desired language for your audio file.
4. From the Voice Name drop down, select the desired voice name that you want to apply for the Text-To-Speech wav file.
5. If you have selected the TTS Type as Windows TTS then:
a). From the Gender drop down, select male or female voice.
b). From Voice Name drop down, select desired prerecorded voice that comes with the operating system of your local system.
6. If you have selected the TTS Type as Amazon Polly then:
a). In the Amazon Id field, enter valid Amazon Id for the Amazon Polly account.
b). In the Amazon Key field, enter valid Amazon Key for the Amazon Polly account. To know how to create Amazon Web Services (AWS) account and generate AWS access key ID and secret key id, click here.
7. Click Test to test the generated .wav file for the respective TTS type that you have just configured.
8. Click Save to save the TTS settings.
6.6.2. Site Settings
The Site Settings enable you to customize branding settings for the application that include the following:
1. Customize the gradient color of ‘Application Header’
2. Customize grid color in screens that display grid data
3. Customize logo on the ‘Application Header’
4. Customize ‘Header Title Prefix’ on the ‘Application Header’
• Custom Brand Settings
1. Hover your mouse on the Settings tab and then from the menu, select Site Settings.
2. In the Custom Branding Settings form, perform the following Brand Setting Customizations:
a. Customize Application Title Header – Gradient Color
i. Beside Header Gradient Color and from the Top Color palette, select the desired color that you want to display as the top color for the ‘Application Title Header’.
ii. From the Bottom Color palette, select the desired color that you want to display at the bottom of the ‘Application Title Header’ in gradient to the selected Top Color.
b. Customize Grid Color
i. From the Grid Color palette, select the color that you want to display for the grid in screens that display grid data.
ii. The final display after applying ‘Grid Color’ branding settings:
c. Customize Logo
i. If you are uploading the logo for the first time then, beside Upload New Logo field, click Browse and select the logo that you want to apply. You will now observe that the logo is added to the Custom Logo drop down list.
ii. From the Custom Logo drop down list, select the logo that you have just uploaded.
d. Customize ‘Header Title Prefix’ Text
3. Once you perform desired customizations, click Apply.
4. To reset to default settings, click Reset.
The Reports screen displays the survey information of an agent. From here, you can run a report to display survey information between the desired start and end time. You can also observe the survey score like how many times a particular agent used the question in a specific survey. The reports display the score on daily, weekly and average basis.
1. In the Reports screen, and below tab bar, enter the desired start and end time in Report Start Time and Report End Time fields respectively within which you want to display the survey report data.
2. Click Run Report.
3. To export the survey results to pdf file, click PDF button.
7.Generate Amazon Associate Product Advertising API Keys
This section guides you through a detailed walk through of creating an AWS account, and generating AWS access key ID and secret key IDs.
1. Open web browser and in the address bar, type the url: https://portal.aws.amazon.com/
2. In the Sign-In page:
3. In the Create an AWS account page:
a). In the Email address field, enter valid email address that you want to use for your AWS account.
b). In the Password field, enter the password for your AWS account and then in the Confirm Password field, retype the password.
c). In the AWS account name field, enter the name that you want to use for your AWS account.
d). Click on Continue.
4. In the Contact Information page:
a). Select the desired Account Type.
b). Enter appropriate details in all the Required Fields* – Full Name, Company Name, Country/Region, Address, City, State/Province or region, Postal code and Phone Number
c). In the Security Check field, enter the security code as displayed on the screen.
d). Check the AWS Customer Agreement check box to indicate that you have read and agreed to the terms of the ‘AWS Customer Agreement’.
e). Click on Create Account and Continue.
5. In the Payment Information page:
a). Enter your Credit/Debit Card Number and Expiration Date details so that AWS can bill your credit or debit card for the usage of AWS products that are not covered by the Free Tier.
b). Click on Secure Submit and provide respective details for authentication.
6. In the Phone Verification page:
a). From the Country/Region code dropdown, select desired country.
b). In the Phone number field, enter your phone number so that AWS can authenticate.
c). Enter the Security Check captcha as displayed on the screen.
d). Click on Call Me Now to immediately receive a call by an automated system.
e). In the Call in progress… popup, 4-digit pin is displayed.
f). When you receive a call from AWS, answer the call and when prompted, enter the 4-digit number on your phone keypad.
g). Once your identity verification is complete, the screen displays the message as, ‘Your identity has been verified successfully.’
h). Click on Continue to select your Support Plan.
7. In the Select a Support Plan page, select the desired support plan. Basic is the default plan and it is free.
8. In the Welcome to Amazon Web Services page, click on Sign In to the Console to navigate to the ‘AWS Sign In’ page.
7.2. Generate Amazon Web Services (AWS) Access Key ID and Secret Key ID
1. In the Sign In page:
a). Enter the E-mail that you have just created while creating your AWS account and click Next.
b). Enter the Password of your AWS account and click on Sign in.
2. On the menu bar, click the down arrow beside Services.
3. Under Security, Identity & Co… section, select IAM.
4. Click the down arrow beside Delete your root access keys and then click on Manage Security Credentials.
5. In the popup message box, click on Continue to Security Credentials.
6. In the Your Security Credentials page, click on Access Keys (Access Key ID and Secret Access Key)
7. Click on Create New Access Key.
8. In the Create Access Key pop up, click on Download Key File to download the key file that contains the key ID and the secret access key.
9. Once the file downloads, click on Save to save the rootkey.csv file.
10. To open and view the rootkey.csv file, click Open.
11. The rootkey.csv file displays as shown in the image below:
12. The Your Security Credentials page will now display your Access Key ID. You can now use your AWS Access Key ID and AWS Secret Key ID to use on your website to link Amazon associate program to the products that you want to put on your website.
Visit our website to access our on-line manuals and receive quick answers to most of your questions. Otherwise, you can contact us by phone, email, live chat and on the VoIPTools forums.
Our team is ready to assist you with answers to your technical questions and we now offer 24/7, 365 days a year.
• Windows Event Log (Applications and Services ? VoIPTools)
The Windows Event Log lists various errors, information messages and warnings related to all our VoIPTools applications and services. The data here can be used for troubleshooting various application errors.
Our forum is intended for VoIPTools customers to collaborate on real-life challenges, solutions and best practices. You can participate on our forum at: https://www.voiptools.com/community/
• Submit a Bug
If you suspect a bug in any of our VoIPTools products, you can bring it to our notice by reporting your issue at: https://www.voiptools.com/report-a-bug/
• Live Chat
Our chat support team is ready to acknowledge your queries in real-time. You can start a live chat with us by simply clicking on the Live Chat button at the lower right corner of our web page.
You can email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to describe your issue in detail. We’ll get back to you within one business day of receiving your request.
You can call us at +1 801-642-4655 to reach a representative. VoIPTools will accept calls at this number from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM (Central Standard Time).
• Support Services
If you purchased our products through a VoIPTools Partner, your Partner will provide first level support. Partners have access to 100% free technical support, provided they participate actively in the troubleshooting process.
VoIPTools customers have access to our on-line manuals and we will respond to emails (next business day) and live chat, but we will not login to your servers remotely.
If you purchase “Installation Support’ our support team can login to your servers and install and configure all our tools for you. This includes installing SQL Server Express and Internet Information Server if required. Our team will work with you to configure our applications to best meet your needs.